1. Life is short. Maximize each moment. If it won’t matter a year from now, two months from now a minute from now—let it go. Easier said than done, but practice makes perfect.
2. Never think that anyone owes you anything, including the world. The world was here first.
3. Accept people for who they are—either you can deal with it or you can’t. Simple. As my mama always says, a leopard cannot change its spots.
4. Remember that everything is a test and someone is always watching.
5. Know thyself.
6. Appreciate the trials and tribulations that come with life. As the old adage goes, what doesn’t break you only makes you stronger. When life gives you lemons they say make lemonade. I say when life gives me lemons, “Is that all you got? I eat watermelons for lunch.” This too shall pass.
7. Trust your instincts. They will never fail you.
8. Take ownership for your actions. No one can make you do something. Either you want to—or you don’t.
9. Don’t wait for New Year’s to come to make a list of resolutions. Change now. What are you waiting for?
10. Lastly, remember to stop and be thankful. Everything that you have experienced up to this very moment has made you the person that you are today. You may not be defined by those things, but they have played an integral part in the molding of your mind, how you feel, and how you carry yourself. There is always room from growth and when there isn’t…well you know…you’re eternally resting.